The Fukui Prefecture report didn’t mention that one sake has taken a Grand Gold Medal for five years running – Rice Magic sparkling junmai daiginjō from Nihonmatsu’s Ninki brewery.
Brewery owner Yusa (can’t find a reading for his first name, sorry) comments that Rice Magic has no off flavours and good balance, and thinks that it showed its worth by being the most “general” of the three sake awarded Grand Gold Medal in the sparkling category.
Other winners from Fukushima Prefecture:
- Yusa junmai ginjō by the Okunomatsu brewery
- Ninki-Ichi Blue ginjō by the Ninki brewery
- junmai ginjō Oraga Junmai by JA Fukushima Mirai, Kinsuisho brewery)
- Rice Magic Ninki-Ichi Sparkling Red by the Ninki brewery
- junmai daiginjō Yauemon Sparkling Shower by the Yamatogawa brewery
- Yusa junmai daiginjō by the Okunomatsu brewery
- junmai daiginjō Gensai by the Suehiro brewery
- Hanaharu junmai daiginjō by the Hanaharu brewery
Premium junmai category
- Ninki-ichi Modern Classic Junmai Ginjo 5 Muroka (unfiltered)